Years ago before there was any water supply or Boughton Park, the area under the west pond was known as Hog Hollow as pigs were allowed to graze freely there and local creeks drained through the area.
The Village of Fairport purchased land there in 1923 with the intent of damming the creeks to create a reservoir to supply water. An earthen dam with concrete spillway was finished in 1925 and flooded out six farms forming the West Pond.
Fairport then got its construction permit extended and installed an earthen dam and concrete spillway to create the East Pond. Together, both ponds supplied 1.3 million gallons of quality water to Fairport daily. The site's higher elevation also precluded the need for pumping.
By 1989, Fairport's demand for water began to outstrip its reservoirs' ability to supply it. Because of this, Fairport decided to get its water from the Monroe County Water Authority, making their own reservoirs redundant. Fairport put the site up for sale and it was purchased by the towns of Victor and East and West Bloomfield for development as a park.
A few years ago, the Boughton Park Board refused state funding because acceptance of such would have meant extensive development and opening the park to all. The park has been left essentially wild and can only be used by permitted residents and taxpayers of the three towns who own it, although permits are free.
OWNED BY THE TOWNS OF VICTOR,
EAST BLOOMFIELD, AND WEST BLOOMFIELD
Boughton Park Regulations:
- All state and local laws apply.
- Park hours: sunrise to sunset.
- Park use by permit only.
- Free permits are issued by Town Clerks to residents of the towns of East Bloomfield, West Bloomfield and Victor.
- When you renew your permit please bring in the old yellow tag otherwise you will be charged a $5.00 replacement fee
- All permits must be displayed prominently.
- Groups of 25 or more require special use permits.
- Special use permits are issued by the Boughton Park Board of Directors. Applications shall be in writing including dates, specific use and insurance coverages where applicable.
- Handicapped individuals may request a daily use permit to enter the park by vehicle. An entry key will be obtained by a Board member.
- Where special circumstances exist, the Board of Directors may issue a special use permit for a disallowed use (Board meets monthly).
- Horseback riding on designated trails only (see map).
- No littering (Carry in, carry out).
- No motorized vehicles.
- No gasoline-powered boats.
- No glass containers.
- No swimming.
- No hunting or trapping.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- Any permit can be cancelled immediately by any director of Boughton Park for violation of the above rules or conduct detrimental to the character or use of the park.
- Watercraft must be removed daily. Handicapped individuals and Senior Citizens may request a boat permit to properly store a canoe or boat on a designated rack from April 15 to November 15. (Boat permits available from East Bloomfield Town Clerk).
Boughton Park Canoe Rack Policy:
Applications will be accepted at the East Bloomfield Town Hall.
Applications will be accepted starting on March 15th of each year.
It will be on a first come first served basis, with preference going to:
Senior Citizens second.
Opened to all if spaces are left.
Permits may be picked up after April 15 of each year.
Permits that are not picked up by April 30 will be given to the next person on the list.
Permits are valid until November 15 at which time canoes must be removed or they will
be moved to the barn at a cost of $15.00 and charged a daily rent in the amount of
$5.00 per day with a maximum of $100.00.
The canoes will be considered abondoned by January 1 and will be sold at auction on
April 15 of the following year.
Suggested Uses :
Encouraged uses include (but are not limited to) fishing, hiking, family picnics, boating or canoeing, cross country skiing (in season), bird watching, dog walking (leash or voice control required) and horseback riding on permitted trails only (see map below).
|Peninsula Trail||0.1 mi.|
|Crossover Trail||0.1 mi.|
|Pumphouse Trail||0.2 mi. End of driveway - Pumphouse|
|Upper North Trail||0.2 mi. Driveway - Pumphouse Trail|
|Fisherman's Trail||0.4 mi. Stirnie Rd. Parking - West Pond Sluiceway|
|Driveway||0.6 mi. Boughton Rd. Parking - Pumphouse Trail|
|Inner Pond Trail||0.9 mi. West Pond Trail - Peninsula Trail|
|West Pond Trail||1.0 mi. Driveway - Stirnie Rd. Parking|
|East Pond Trail||1.3 mi. Boughton Rd. Parking - East Pond Sluiceway|